DEADLINE -29TH August 2013
The Corporate Communications unit of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT, http://www.cimmyt.org) seeks an intern to help with writing, editing, and public relations relating to the center’s work on climate change and specifically in projects supported by CCAFS-the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (http://ccafs.cgiar.org/). Located 45 kilometers east of Mexico City, CIMMYT is a non-profit, international research organization that develops and promotes improved maize and wheat varieties and cropping systems for farmers in developing countries. The communications intern on climate change will work full-time assisting science writers/editors in duties such as to:
- Liaise directly with CCAFS communicators to keep them apprised of CIMMYT work and to develop and push out stories with relevant audiences, including the media.
- Writing, editing, and proofing articles for a weekly newsletter and blog.
- Managing CIMMYT’s social media using tools such as Twitter, Flickr, and Facebook.
- Developing content about climate change results, meetings, and partnerships.
- Monitoring the media for climate change and agriculture articles.
- Drafting / editing content for pamphlets, posters, and presentations.
- Other communications and dissemination tasks, as agreed.
The ideal candidate should be able to commit for one year as of late September 2013 and have a background in communications, journalism, or international development, an undergraduate degree, and writing or editing experience in English. Knowledge of Spanish, science, and agriculture are advantages.
CIMMYT offers interns a modest monthly stipend, support for health insurance, a housing allowance, and the arrival and return ticket to and from Mexico.
To apply, please e-mail a letter of interest, resume, two writing samples (preferably non-academic), and contact information for two references to Mike Listman (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 28 August 2013.
Salaries of internationally recruited staff are paid in US dollars. CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.